Your past is not your future. Let our psychologists help you create a fearless life.
Trauma can impact anyone’s mental health or emotional well-being. Experiencing a severe car accident, the tragic loss of a loved one, an assault or abuse, the sudden loss of your health, or any other tragic event, can negatively affect one’s psychological welfare. Trauma Therapy involves evidence-based approaches that treat trauma, including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Your psychologist will decide which evidence-based treatment is best for you.
- Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy aims at purposely exposing an individual to the trauma memory in a safe and secure manner. Research supports that trauma symptoms are maintained through avoidance of the traumatic memory and avoidance of places, people and situations that remind one of traumatic experiences. PE Therapy allows a client to process what has happened to him/her mentally, emotionally and physically. It is found that through the exposure, trauma and PTSD symptoms are reduced.
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) assists the brain to process the traumatic memory that can be triggered by sounds, thoughts, and images locked in the body. EMDR works by ‘clearing out’ associations that are negatively impacting an individual’s life. An individual is freed from reliving the thoughts and feelings when the traumatic event is recalled. Although the memory will remain, it will not be as distressing and immobilizing.
While these therapies do not change the fact that a trauma has taken place, they work to free the client from the depression, fear and anxiety that are associated with the trauma.
Allow the psychologists at Taylor Clark Psychological Services to assist you in healing from trauma.
How we can help:
- Free yourself from the effects that trauma has on your body and mind, as well as your relationships
- Heal from traumatic memories in a safe environment
- Help to diminish triggers and improve quality of life